Unframed is a series of four short musicals that illuminate objects in Selections from the Gund Gallery Collection. Directed by Anton Dudley, associate professor of drama, and curated by Jodi Kovach, curator of academic programs, composers Ruth Chan, Faye Chiao, Michael Cooper, and Khiyon Hursey create pieces to be performed by Kenyon College students in response to artworks by Chitra Ganesh, Renee Stout, Leysis Quesada Vera, Arién Chang Castan, and Kiki Smith.
Performances are one hour in length and are free and open to the public.
Saturday, November 16 at 6:00 PM
Buchwald-Wright Gallery, Gund Gallery
About the composers:
- Ruth Chan is a renowned British composer for theatre, film, television and concert works. Chan is currently creating a new version of Madame Butterfly (Opera Up Close) due to premiere in 2020.
- Faye Chiao is an award-winning composer of musical theater, opera, and concert music. Chiao has been honored with awards from The Presser Foundation, The Puffin Foundation and OPERA America.
- Michael Cooper is a New York-based composer and lyricist. Cooper has been recognized numerous times, receiving Outer Critics Circle and MAC Award nominations, becoming a 2017 Fred Ebb Award finalist, and winning a Top Jury Honor at DIMF Korea in 2013 and the 2005 Jonathan Larson, Daryl Roth, TRU Daniel Marshall Multicultural Awards.
- Anton Dudley is a playwright, lyricist, librettist, and director, whose work has premiered Off-Broadway with Playwrights Realm, Second Stage Theater, Cherry Lane Theater, and at Theater Row. Dudley was a finalist for the 2012 Lambda Literary Award in LGBT Drama and is currently an associate professor of drama at Kenyon College.
- Khiyon Hursey is a writer and composer based in Los Angeles and New York. Hursey is the recipient of several competitive scholarships, a 2016 NAMT Writers Grant, a 2016-2017 Dramatists Guild Musical Theater Fellowship, 2017 Space on Ryder Farm Residency, 2018 Johnny Mercer Songwriter’s Project residency, 2019 ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop with Stephen Schwartz, and the 2019 Rhinebeck Writer’s Retreat.
Full Performance Schedule:
- Friday, November 15 at 6:00 PM
- Friday, November 15 at 8:00 PM
- Saturday, November 16 at 6:00 PM
- Saturday, November 16 at 8:00 PM
The Gund Gallery exhibitions and programs are made possible, in part, by the Gund Gallery Board of Directors and the Ohio Arts Council.